Jeff and Sabrina Maness – November 5th, 2017
You Choose Sunday 11-12-17
1. I think about the past A LOT, and it sometimes gets in the way of my time with God. How do I stop thinking about my past and more into the future?
“The devil knows your name but calls you by your sin. God knows your sin but calls you by your name.” Craig Groeschel
Philippians 3:12-14 12 I don’t mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me. 13 No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us.
2. I try to read the Bible and use prayer; I really try to be better, but I keep falling back into the same sins repeatedly. What else do I need to do to change?
Philippians 2:12b-13 Work hard to show the results of your salvation, obeying God with deep reverence and fear. 13 For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him.
1 John 3:9 9 Those who have been born into God’s family (saved) do not make a practice of sinning, because God’s life is in them. So they can’t keep on sinning, because they are children of God.
Hebrews 10:26-27 26 Dear friends, if we deliberately continue sinning after we have received knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice that will cover these sins. 27 There is only the terrible expectation of God’s judgment and the raging fire that will consume his enemies.
3. What is the baptism of the Holy Spirit? Why do you not preach about the baptism of the Holy Spirit?
John 20:22 22 Then he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit.
Acts 4:13 13 The members of the council were amazed when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, for they could see that they were ordinary men with no special training in the Scriptures. They also recognized them as men who had been with Jesus.
4. What is the prayer language that comes with the baptism of the Holy Spirit? What are the gifts of the Spirit and what do they mean?
Acts 2:4 4 And everyone present was filled with the Holy Spirit and began speaking in other languages (tongues), as the Holy Spirit gave them this ability.
Acts 2:7-8 7 They were completely amazed. “How can this be?” they exclaimed. “These people are all from Galilee, 8 and yet we hear them speaking in our own native languages!
1 Corinthians 14:18-19 18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than any of you. 19 But in a church meeting I would rather speak five understandable words to help others than ten thousand words in an unknown language.
5. How does the church feel about transgender people and those who are in the LBGT community?