Here at Element Church, we follow a practice that many people believe originated from the teaching of St. Augustine: “In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; and in all things, charity.
All doctrinal matters are important.
However, we believe:
Essential Doctrines are worth dividing over, and generally Non-Essentials are not.
- Jesus is Lord: (Acts 4:12; John 1:14; Matt. 1:23)
- We believe that Jesus is Lord, and that salvation is only given through faith in Him.
- Salvation through Faith: (Ephesians 2:8-9; Hebrews 7:26-28)
- We believe that people are saved by the grace of God, through their faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. We cannot save ourselves. Saving faith requires genuine belief and repentance of sin.
- The Holy Trinity: (Genesis 1:1; John 1:1, 14, 18; Matt. 28:19; 2 Cor. 13:14)
- We believe in one God. Though God is one, we believe the scriptures declare He exists in 3 persons: God the Father, God the Son (Jesus), and God the Holy Spirit. All 3 persons of the Trinity are co-equal, and co-eternal.
- The Authority of Scripture: (2 Timothy 3:15-17; 2 Peter 1:19-21)
- We believe the Bible is the inspired word of God, without error, and the final authority of truth.
- The after-life: (2 Corinthians 5:8; Revelation 20:11-15)
- We believe in a real heaven and a real hell, and real people go there for all of eternity.
- The return of Christ: (1 Thessalonians 4:15b-17)
- We believe Jesus will return again for His church and to fulfill the prophecies about His victory over all evil.
- The pre-destination of the individual: (John 3:16; Romans 3:23-26; 1 Tim. 2:3-4)
- We believe God predestines all people to be saved; that His loving wish is that all people would be saved. However, we believe God has given humanity a free-will to choose to follow, or reject salvation in Christ.
- The security of the believer: (Philippians 1:6; Hebrews 10:26-31; Galatians 6:1)
- We believe that the believer is secure in Christ as long as he or she walks in obedience with Christ. We do not believe someone can flippantly “lose” their salvation. We believe intentional sin against the known will of God separates us from God. If we sin in this way, we must turn back to God in repentance.
- The filling of the Holy Spirit: (1 Thess. 5:23-24; Romans 8:1-4; 1 John 3:3)
- We believe the evidence of being filled with the Holy Spirit is Righteous Living and Perfect Love. We do not practice or promote the speaking of tongues (unknown spiritual languages) at Element Church.
- The time of Christ’s return: (Matthew 24:36)
- We believe Jesus is returning; however, we believe the timing of His return is unknown by anyone but God the Father.
* For more information, read our full statement of faith or attend a Foundations Class.
Use these tabs below to learn more about who we are.